Back End Web Development
Back End Web Development is a vast topic for discussion, as it is not requiring specific skill, or a skill set, but it can be done and managed by many. Let’s see what Back End Development is, some of the skills that we could acquire to work with it, tools and more.
If you wish to see video format of this article, make sure to click this link — Back End Web Development
What is Back End Development?
Back End Development is also known as a Server Side Development. We as developers work on Back End systems to create functionalities, like Authentication, Authorization, Better Validation, Payment Processing and even Manipulation of Data.
Server side development is something that is not visible to an everyday user, so it is much safer to create functionalities with personal data on a Back End and call those from a Front End.
Since we have the HTTP Protocol, our development grew. HTTP Protocol is something that our Client Side uses to contact our Server Side and our Back End Side uses it to contact Third Party if needed and return response to a Client Side.
Today, we are able to develop API’s, Applications, Software and much much more using Back End Development.
Mostly, the developer will select his language by preference, so how the developer plans his career, does a specific company require a specific skill set, or does a specific project require specific technology and so on.
- Python — Is open source, high-level programming language. Can be used for general purposes, so it could be used to create Web Apps, APIs, Desktop Software, Games etc. It can also support developers with Frameworks like Django, Flask and so on.
- PHP — Is widely used server side scripting language used to create dynamic and interactive web apps. It is well suited for Web Development and it can support developers with Frameworks like Laravel, Symfony and so on.
- Java — Is a general purpose programming language that is class-based and object-oriented. It is also well organized and easy to understand. It can support developers with Frameworks like Spring, Selenium and so on.
- C# — Is also used for general purposes, it is generic, functional and object-oriented. It was made in 2000 and it is highly used to this day. It can support developers with Frameworks like ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Core and so on.
Next to these languages, developers are also able to learn many others as all of these are highly used to this day. To mention some other languages, developers can also learn C++, Go, Kotlin, Ruby, Scala and many others.
Now to mention some of the tools that Back End developer has to use to make his work more valuable and truly be Back End Developer.
- APIs — Develop, Read, Use for Multiple Purposes.
- Text Editor — To write code, some of the well known would be, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, Atom…
- Version Control System — To handle versions of code for a project, some of those would be Git, Vim and so on.
- Database — To store and manipulate data, some of those would be MongoDB, MySQL, MariaDB…
- Cloud Hosting — To host Apps, Software and APIs, some of those would be AWS, Heroku.
Career of a Back End Developer can be really different, so this is specific to a person, as everything is with a Back End Developer. As you choose which skills to learn, you also choose which Career Path you want to have.
- Usually a nice Portfolio with a couple of good projects is a nice start to get clients. It involves Self Learning through courses, documentations and tests. Hard time is learning, as developers had to do it on their own without any help, but also rewards a freedom upon success. Developers usually get clients on websites like Upwork, Freelance…
- Following path after college, camps and school, developers tend to take a look into jobs in the office. Most companies have their own skill set that developers should know, so developers have to focus on those. Apply, interview, test and you get a potential job or at least practice. Once you land a job, it is easier to learn as you have people around you with similar skills, it is also a mostly secure job, but lacks freedom.
Touching this very root of Back End Development could not clarify for you the whole process of learning and being a Back End Web Development.
To learn about Back End Development, make sure to watch this video — Back End Web Development
If you like to see more of my content, feel free to check my other posts. Also, make sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel.